12 August 2023

XIX Sunday of the Year

AMID THE STORM

1 Kings 19:9a, 11-13a; Romans 9:1-5; Matthew 14:22-33

We are amid one of the greatest storms of our lives – the coronavirus is still around with new variants; inflation and unemployment; natural disasters and violent conflict in several parts of the world; growing hatred and intolerance. Many of us are overwhelmed. 

The readings of today feature people who are overwhelmed by events in their lives. Amid chaos, they experience God’s abiding presence.


The first reading features Elijah who had to flee into the desert to escape the wrath of Jezebel. There he encounters an angel who comforted him and gave him food. On the strength of that encounter, he journeyed forty days to Horeb, where he faces more chaos:  a strong wind, an earthquake, a fire. Then he experiences the presence of God in “a tiny whispering sound”. Elijah’s flight to Mount Horeb ends with an encounter with God.

Paul (second reading) is overwhelmed with sorrow that his fellow Jews had not accepted Christ. His faith is steadied by recalling God’s irrevocable gifts to Israel.

The gospel features the disciples caught in a terrible storm which swamps their boat. When they are in disarray, there is more chaos and fear; they see a ghost. It is Jesus who reassures them: “It is I (literally I am); do not be afraid.” These words would have evoked memories of Yahweh’s revelation to Moses (Exodus 3:14). The disciples’ crossing to the other side, interrupted by a destructive storm, ends with an encounter with God.

When destructive forces assail me, let me walk on like Elijah; when the storms of life engulf me, let me keep battling them like the disciples. The Lord is with me to sustain me. And at some point, perhaps when I reaches the “depths”, I will encounter him. May the storms of my life cease with an encounter with God. Then, like Elijah and Peter, may I walk on.

No comments:

Post a Comment