26 February 2022

VIII Sunday of the Year

JUDGE NOT

Sirach 27:4-7; 1 Corinthians 15:54-58; Luke 6:39-45

A friar in a monastery committed a fault. The superior called the council to decide the punishment. The council assembled, but Friar Joseph, a senior monk, was missing. The superior called for him. When Friar Joseph came, he was carrying a leaking jug! The others asked him what it meant. He said: “My sins run out behind me, but I do not see them. And today I am coming to judge the error of another?”


This anecdote sums up the thrust of today’s liturgy: judge not.
The gospel is a continuation of the Sermon on the Plain and Jesus’ injunction to not judge. What Jesus forbids is not judgment per se, but negative/destructive judgment. Our judgments should be like those of Jesus: judging to save and help, not to knock down and destroy.
We ought not to pass judgment unless we have some understanding of the person and his/her situation, and without an awareness of our own faults. Much of our criticism is, perhaps, a form of self-defence or a pre-emptive strike! To offset our feeling of insecurity, we pull others down.

However, “judge not” is not a cover for immoral behaviour; not a prohibition on admonishing others; not an endorsement of moral relativism. It is an elaboration of the Golden Rule. Given that God will judge us, what kind of judgment do we want? We want a judgment done with mercy, compassion, and forgiveness. That’s the way we ought to treat others: with mercy and compassion.

Do I see the worst or the best about others? When I judge others, am I aware of my faults and shortcomings? Am I merciful and compassionate?

After a pastor preached on spiritual gifts, a lady told him: “Pastor, I believe I have the talent of criticism.” He asked her: “Remember the person in Jesus’ parable who had the one talent? Do you recall what he did with it?” She replied: “Yes, he went out and buried it.” With a smile, the pastor suggested: “Go thou, and do likewise!” 
May we bury our negative and destructive criticism and use our gifts of love and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment