22 October 2022

XXX Sunday of the Year

HOLINESS/PRAYER IS NOT WHAT I DO

Sirach 35:12-14, 16-18; 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18; Luke 18:9-14

A man boasted to a spiritual master that he had achieved quite a degree of holiness: “I rise early in the morning; I fast from food and drink; I work tirelessly, and I discipline myself with a whip.”
The spiritual master walked with him through a field and pointed to a donkey. He said: “That donkey rose early in the morning. It hasn’t been fed or given a drink. It has worked tirelessly and has been whipped.” He asked the man: “What makes you any different from that ass?”

We could assume that we can become “holy” primarily through our efforts – good deeds, sacrifice and penance, the sacraments – and become proud. Today’s gospel reminds us that holiness isn’t about self-actualization, that there’s more to holiness than doing good deeds! 


The Pharisee in the parable did all the good practices he listed, which have their merit. The problem is 
- his “prayer” is an advertisement for himself with too many I’s (six!); the subject of his prayer is not God but himself! 
- his “holier-than-thou” attitude.
- he thought his actions justified him; he did not need God’s mercy and love.
The tax collector knew that he was a poor sinner and that he needed God’s grace/mercy and love to help him. 

Jesus speaks “this parable to those who were fully convinced of their righteousness”! Holiness or righteousness is not about what we do and achieve. It is about recognizing our need for God. It is what happens when we bring our emptiness before him and let him pour his love into us. It’s only then we – like the tax collector – are justified, that is, set right with God.

The first reading from Sirach reiterates this truth: “The prayer of the lowly pierces the clouds; it does not rest till it reaches its goal.”
In the second reading, Paul boasts that he has finished the race and that the crown of righteousness awaits him. But he boasts in the Lord.

Do I tell God what I have done for him? Do I compare myself with others convinced of my righteousness? 
Or do I stand humbly before God, with full awareness of my nothingness, and acknowledge his goodness, love and mercy to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment